Wednesday, May 2, 2012

4 Year Anniversary

Contest Results:

Up approximately  +52% for the year.  See chart at bottom.  Still not in the Top 5 yet, though.
http://www.worldcupadvisor.com/worldcupchampionships/default_nwcc2.aspx

*******************************************************************
More importantly...


Today is my 4th Anniversary of freedom from the corporate world!

Transitioning to full time trading has been a challenge, to say the least.

TRADING IS BY FAR THE HARDEST JOB I HAVE EVER HAD IN MY LIFE.  That includes my 5 years in charge of Quality Assurance for an aerospace company - where if I made a bad decision, people could have died (no one did, thankfully!).  Trading is also about 50 times tougher than working on Top Secret government defense projects, 100 times tougher than designing experiments for the Space Shuttle, and 1000 times tougher than being a NASA rocket scientist.

But, all things considered, I love trading, and all things about it.  Because of it, I also get to spend a ridiculous amount of time with my kids.  More than once, I was the only Dad in a sea of Moms at birthday parties, soccer games, etc.  Of course, I'm lucky I have such a supportive and loving spouse, too.  If she wasn't on board with this whole mid-life career change thing, it would have never worked out.

So, I am living proof it can be done.  At least so far. BUT, at the same time, don't fall for people who tell you trading is easy.  Don't fall for people who claim these obnoxiously good backtest results and try to sell them to you - one joker once told me he'd easily be a billionaire within 5 years!  Don't fall for people who claim they can predict the future - if they really could, they'd be rich already.  Most people selling info on trading do not even trade!  In short, don't fall for the "easy" way out.

Trading is not about laying on a beach, sipping a margarita.  Remember that.



7 comments:

  1. Totally agree with you. One point to note, transitioning from part-time trading to full-time trading is the hardest phase anybody who wants to trade full-time has to go through. Mindset change is critical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent point. Transition is very difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second those big blue fonts up there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right On, MBA! Wannabe traders don't like to hear that, though. Someone needs to tell 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi,

    just curious. Since you trade full time, what is your capital for full time trading. I don't assume that 10k is your full time trading capital. And what is your full time performance differ from this competition, (assuming your full time capital and competititon capital is different).
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment. Yes, you are correct, $10K is not my full time trading capital. I do not disclose my total trading capital.

    Over the past 3+ years, all my accounts together returned approximately 45% per year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen so many "traders" gone back to working full-time in their previous job industry. The truth of trading is not as glamorous as one thinks. Just turn on the computer, connect to internet, and start making money, lol.

    ReplyDelete