Monday, March 5, 2012

No More Discretion


Although the "base" system I am using for this contest was set in stone (ie, no discretion), the "add on to winners" portion of the strategy, where I increase size as the profit in a position grows, had discretion in it:

Initial entry - 100% mechanical, no discretion
Exit - 100% mechanical, no discretion
Additional entries, for profitable positions - 100% discretion


Although I liked the idea an adding on to winning positions, and tests I have run with other systems show that the idea is sound, I did not like the discretionary aspect of it.

So, I decided to fix this.

I went back, and divided the historical trades roughly in 2 - an in-sample "test" period, and an out-of-sample "verification" period.

I ran a couple of simple ideas (for when to add on) through the "in period" and chose one, based on test results.

I then checked, and the scheme holds up on the "verification" out-of-sample period.

Normally, I'd like to run this in real time (without real money) for a few months.  But, in this case I am going to put it to use immediately.

So, here is what this system looks like now:

Initial entry - 100% mechanical, no discretion
Exit - 100 mechanical, no discretion
Additional entries, for profitable positions - 100% mechanical, no discretion


Why am I eliminating discretion?  I'll talk about my reasons in a future post.

We will see how this works out!

Contest Update:


My Performance:

4 comments:

  1. Your equity curve looking good now. If there is continuation today, it would be fantastic!

    By the way, just a question on market selection. Do you have an algorithm to select the markets to trade? In practice, does this holds up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the question.

    For the system I am using for the contest, I had an idea in mind, but I knew it would not produce enough trades in 1 market per year. But, over 20+ markets, it produces an acceptable number of trades per year (around 75-100, if memory serves me right). So all testing and evaluation was done with all these markets.

    When everything was complete, I think all but 2 or 3 markets were profitable. But, I trade them all, because eliminating the loser markets would basically be cherry picking, and I like to avoid that when I can.

    I do not use this multiple market approach for all systems I develop. For example, I recently created 5 systems, all unique, and all different markets. Sort of the opposite approach to what I am doing here.

    ReplyDelete