Thursday, March 8, 2012

Real or Fake?


Someone asked me if my equity curve updates were legitimate.

I guess in this industry such concerns are to be expected.  Financial "wizards" tend to be everywhere on the internet - at least they look that way in the darkness.  Turn on the lights, though, and the "gurus" scatter like cockroaches.

It is pretty easy to turn the light on this blog, and there is no scattering here...

You can always check the contest leaderboard at:
http://www.worldcupadvisor.com/worldcupchampionships/default_nwcc2.aspx

If you see my name there, my percentage return should match my equity curve.

If you don't see my name on the Leaderboard, you can assume my percentage return is below the 5th Place person.


So, it is quite easy to verify that what I post is legit, especially if/when I start doing better, and finally again show up on the Leaderboard.


Really, the question is a sad commentary on the futures industry - so many people out there are used to con men, snake oil salesmen, fraud, etc.

They don't know what to believe, so they either believe all of it, or believe none of it.


I can't speak for other stuff out there, but you can rest assured what I post is accurate.



5 comments:

  1. Great to see the equity curve going up!

    When looking at performance of a trading account, most people are focusing on the equity curve only.

    I do think that percentage wins/loss, maximal draw-down from peaks, maximum consecutive wins/loss, and average gain/loss per trade are important as well. These numbers not only reveal the strengths of the trading methodology used but also the psychological make-up of the trader.

    It would be great if these numbers are revealed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Some of these numbers would be nice to know. Also maybe some informations on how you go to where you are now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like I am not alone in my quest to be the best trader in the world, lol!

      Delete
  3. I will try to add some more info in the future. I might have to include walkforward test results, because there haven't been that many trades this year. So far this year there have been only 19 trades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are 2 sets of numbers, one where the system is traded mechanically, and one where the system is traded by a live human being.

      1. I was thinking if you compare those numbers (for the live trader) for the 2 contests that you won previously (if available), would there be any major differences?

      2. Would you use those numbers (for a live trader) to measure how you have improved over the years?

      Delete