Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Everything is Relative

If I told a non-reader of this blog that I was up 19% for the year, they might be duly impressed.

But, readers of this blog realize that 19% isn't so great, considering I was once up over 60%.

A straight line equity curve, ending in 19% up, is certainly more preferable to what my curve has done.

So, performance is relative.  Keep that in mind as you search for suitable trading strategies.  The ups and downs (especially the downs) is what will kill your resolve, shatter your confidence, and cause you to abandon ship right before the equity curve shoots up.

Not that I complaining (although I am disappointed somewhat).  I just wanted to put it in perspective.


2 comments:

  1. Everything is Relative, so very true. I was up 30% a month ago until a bout of getting whipsawed and losing.

    Also relative is how some traders gauge performance. Increase in overall P&L or increase in value at risk? A 30% gain of a $10,000 account compared to a 10% gain of a %100,000 account is not exactly comparing apples to apples.

    Good post Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, and I appreciate the comment! You are right - some people care about the end result, some about the path to get that result. I bet most people that blow out eventually don't care about things like value at risk.

    ReplyDelete