Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Houston, We Have A Problem

Well, it seems like I cannot get this strategy off the ground and trading real money...

My latest problem is on 1 minute bars, with the proprietary platform of my forex broker.  If I use their MT4 interface, everything is fine.  If I use their proprietary platform, and shut it down and turn it back on, I get different looking 1 minute bars.  See below:




Since I did my backtesting with this platform, I consider ALL RESULTS INVALID.

So, I have multiple options at this point:

1.  Just keep going with the incorrect proprietary platform, realizing that my live results will probably not match my backtest, due to the charting issue above

2.  Use my broker's MT4 platform (which has a terrible order entry window, although I could change it if I learned MT4 programming).  I'd redo the backtest in this platform

3.  Go to a different Forex broker, but likely pay higher spreads.  Redo backtest.

4.  Use the Euro futures instead, although this means that some of my position sizing (using micro and mini Forex lots, in addition to regular size lots) will be invalid.  Redo backtest, although I could likely program most of what I am doing.

5.  Chuck the whole project, move on to something else.


I am going to evaluate each option, and come to a decision soon.  Until then, no paper trading, and no real money trading.  VERY disappointing!

No comments:

Post a Comment