Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Boy Am I An Awful Trader!

Every once in a while, when things are going good, I think that I am a pretty good trader.  Usually, a couple days pass and I realize I was totally mistaken!

So, to keep my ego in line, and to continuously remind myself that I must improve, I like to look at some of my bad trades.

Here is a good one that I took in this contest account.  I added to a profitable short near the low, then EXITED WITH A BIG LOSS AT THE EXACT HIGH!  A nice fat, juicy loss, I might add.

To add insult to injury, the market abruptly turned once it flushed me out!  Had my stop loss not been hit, I'd be up $1,700 more in the contest account.  17% additional.

Oh well.

The good news (for me) is that I followed my rules precisely.  In this case, though, the rules did not work out so well.


Maybe this approach will help you - when your ego thinks you are great, give it a reminder or two that you are not!




2 comments:

  1. A very wise king wrote long ago "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall."

    So does a humble spirit precede a rise? We'll follow your progress to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should say that, because I wasn't watching that account today, and didn't check it until a couple hours after my post (around 5 PM ET).

    I won't say anymore, but I will post my equity curve late tonight.

    ReplyDelete